This past year on Easter, I realized that my daughter is completely obsessed with finding hidden Easter eggs. They didn’t even need to be filled with anything, she just wanted us to hide them, so she could find them. Just like a scavenger hunt. We did this for months until I hid the Easter eggs to use for next Easter.
This love for finding Easter eggs was the inspiration for this Block Scavenger Hunt for Letter Recognition Practice.
For the first part of the scavenger hunt I created a printable with slips that could be wrapped around each block block. I used areas of our house that she could easily recognize the picture of, but I added the words for good measure. Some examples of the places I used are her bed, the TV stand, the couch, front door, fridge, etc.
I wrapped each block, placed them in particular places in our home.
At the end of the scavenger hunt I placed a sheet with all the letters on it and a marker.
As she followed the instructions on the slips of paper, she collected more and more blocks. When she reached the end of the hunt, we sat down and put all of the blocks in front of us. As she picked up each block, she colored over the letter on the paper that corresponded with the letter on the block.
I shouldn’t have been surprised at just how much she loved this game. We played for over an hour. It is nice because I was able to switch the order of the places I hid the blocks, even with the slips. That way it was a new hunt every time she played. For longer use, the slips could even be cut & laminated, to prevent wear.
To print your own copy of our Block Scavenger Hunt printable..click here..print..and play!
Plus You’ll Receive Full Access To Our Free Printable Vault!
For more great activities for kids incorporating blocks, check these out what others from the Learning with Manipulatives Team shared:
- Building Block STEM Challenge Cards from Life Over C’s
- Fractions with KORXX Blocks from Still Playing School
- Building Block Maze Activity from Mom Inspired Life
- Free Printable: Block Scavenger Hunt for Letter Recognition from Play Dough and Popsicles
- Fine Motor Development with Blocks from Sugar Aunts
- Building Tens Castles (Preschool/Kindergarten Math) from Preschool Powol Packets
- Word Family BINGO! from School Time Snippets
- Building Block Addition Towers from The Kindergarten Connection
- Superhero Alphabet Matching Activity with Blocks from Stir The Wonder
- Storytelling with Wooden Blocks: Three Little Pigs from Adventures of Adam
- Sight Word ABCs with Blocks from Simple Fun for Kids
- Letter Sound Scavenger Hunt from Raising Little Superheroes
- Symmetry with Building Blocks from In The Playroom
- Building CVC words with Blocks from Teach me Mommy
- Making Patterns with Building Blocks from Play & Learn Everyday